Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 2/Day 3 Smoothie Detox "Experiment"

It's coming near to the end of day 3 for me. I am due my next smoothie at 7 pm,
which I'll make a mixed berry, banana, spinach and coconut water. I am BEYOND
proud of myself. I was able to make it through Day 2 and Day 3 (so far) without
eating anything other than the smoothies.

I believe in one of the overeating posts Jona posted she mentioned to think
about why you eat what you or cook what you cook. Something like that. So
yesterday as I cooked my hubby and mini-me chicken alfredo, that question
lingered in my mind. And i FINALLY figured out why I do this. Overeating
wasn't necessarily something I did on auto-pilot so to speak because I never
took the time to think about why I cook what I cook/eat what I eat. I am the
type of person who loves hard! I love my family and my friends hard, too. 
Being away from them hurts and I just want a part of them with me. I cook the
dishes that remind me of someone I'm missing or remind me of a memory that I
shared with a loved one. Chicken alfredo reminds me of my best friend,
Lashonda, and all the times we shared in college. Every Puerto Rican dish I
cook reminds me of my mother and grandmothers. The way I cook my green beans
reminds me of my Mother-in-Law. Cooking Rosemary Pork reminds me of my BFF-UK,
Chazzie. All of these things are linked to happy times in my life and people
that I miss. Now I just have to figure out how to make myself feel better after
missing these people/memories withOUT food. It's just hard because one of the
things I enjoyed doing with my friends was cooking, trying new foods, and
learning how to cook foods from different cultures. Somehow, someway I will
figure this out.

I am very proud of myself for not eating yesterday! I broke off a little piece
of chocolate from a dark chocolate bar I have and I looked at it. I held it for
a while. I wanted to eat it, but my want to go through with this fast and
overcome this "challenge" (well to me) was greater. So I put the chocolate
away. All day I kept thinking about the cocoa powder covered almonds I have. I
kept fighting with myself, "I just want one," "You don't need one. What's the
point?" Finally I decided that one little piece of chocolate or one little
almond wasn't worth me failing at a goal I'm setting for myself. I'm proud of
myself because I didn't give in to my food temptation (for ONCE!!!). When I
stepped on the scale before I went to the doc's office I was pleasantly
surprised to see that i lost 7 lbs. I can't believe it! I'm half way through
the week and I've lost 7 lbs. Now that I see results, I am definitely motivated
to keep going with this fast and more likely to do this again in the future.

It's not all a pretty picture though. I'm still suffering from headaches here
and there, but they've gotten better. I had been experiencing insomnia, but am
now able to get to bed early and get a good amount of sleep. I also feel fine
when I get out of bed. Before, I used to have to drag myself out of bed and
felt like a zombie. Now when I get up, I'm just ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment