Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 1 of Green Smoothie Detox

I woke up late today to find a bunch of mayhem caused by my toddler. By the time I was finished blending my smoothie and got to actually drink it, it was 11 am. So i basically missed breakfast. Luckily for me, I am over the caffeine withdrawal that I'm going through. Actually, I'm not over it. I would love a cup of coffee right now, but I am glad that I went through the withdrawal headache part yesterday.

I decided my "brunch" (more like lunch) smoothie would be a mango, spinach, and coconut water smoothie. It blended out to be a beautiful bright green color. I was afraid to drink it because you hear the combo, and as a person whose diet mostly consists of starches and meats, I'm not used to consuming much green stuff. Especially when it's blended in something you're supposed to drink.

Took my first sip and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be disgusting and I would have to be some type of health nut for this, but nope. It's delicious. I could see myself drinking this even when I'm not on a detox.

For my 2nd smoothie of the day, I chose to use the "green juice" recipe listed in the 30 days of juice document.... It includes kale, spinach, celery, cucumbers and apples. The first issue I came across was that I couldn't fit all of the ingredients into the blender, so I decided to break it down. Well, when I did that, the blender didn't blend the ingredients well. So I decided to move everything to my food processor. It chopped it down quite a bit, but not to the consistency of a smoothie. So, I moved everything to the blender again. It smoothed the stuff some more, but it was still pretty chunky. After many attempts of smoothing it down (adding water), I got frustrated and decided that I would just drink/eat it the way it was. I tried a couple of sips, and decided that there was no way in hell i could drink this! Lol. I'm not sure if I did something wrong... well I'm sure I did something wrong because the consistency was ALL wrong. I can decide whether it was the taste, the consistency, or the combination of both that turned me off from this particular smoothie.

I was so frustrated and tempted to just warm up some leftovers or eat some cereal because it was a lot easier that getting all of the ingredients in the blender again. Somehow, I got my thoughts together and decided that I would just have the same smoothie I had earlier in the day because I liked it.

I do want to try a smoothie with tomatoes in it. But haven't found one that appeals to me. I've always loved fruits a lot more than veggies, so now I'm nervous about how I'm going to do for the rest of the week...




No comments:

Post a Comment